Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer - Ultra Light

This concealer has gotten so many rave reviews I had to try it for myself. It's hard to say how I really feel about this one though.

Let's start with shade selection:

It comes in five shades - Ultra Light, Light, Medium Light, Medium and Tan. I have fair skin so I knew I should get Ultra Light or Light but they looked the exact same in the tube so I guessed and picked Ultra Light. The first time I used it I immediately regretted that choice because let me tell you, it is indeed ULTRA LIGHT! So unless you have vampire-pale skin, don't be afraid of passing by the lightest shade they offer and going for the second lightest. Otherwise you'll have to make some effort to conceal your concealer with foundation.

Onto application:

A little bit goes a really long way. If you're using it to conceal a freckle, or pimple, you won't need much at all. I'm talking a little tap with your finger on the pointy opening of the tube and you're just about set. This tube will last you forever (unless you're using it to cover tattos or large scars) and at $6 for 20 grams, that's a really good deal.

The ultra light shade really let me down though.  After applying it on my face and blending it out (which is hard to do) I was left with a Calamine Lotion effect. You know that powdery pinky-white stuff you smear on poison ivy rashes? That's what I'm talking about. Even after setting it with a pigmented powder the white splotches still stood out. This might not happen with a better color match but since the color options are limited and this is a very thick and heavy concealer I would suggest applying it BEFORE your foundation so you don't end up with obvious blotches of concealer on you face. Sometimes this method works form me and sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on how much concealer I have to use. It sometimes start popping through whatever I used to cover it up to reveal a white patch of concealer.


Don't even think about using this on the under eye area. This product swatches beautifully on the back of your hands and probably does a good job concealing tattoos, but it is WAY too thick for the delicate undereye area, (pulls the skin something terrible) looks super cakey on that thin skin and creases like you wouldn't believe.

I have a scar on my leg, a little smaller than a dime, and if I apply a thick layer and set it with powder it conceals it pretty well. You can apply a lot of this on your body without it standing out too much. You can't do that on your face though.

This stuff is not easy to wash off. Water balls up on the product so while I don't think the product claims to be water proof, it's very close to it

The pencil:
This concealer also comes with a concealer pencil. The directions say to outline a tattoo with the pencil and then fill it in with the concealer from the tube. Since I don't have any tattoos I decided to use the pencil to line the waterline of my eyes and it is PERFECT for that.  This is a nice light fleshy color that gives your eyes a natural, bightening boost! that lasts all day. So even if you can't use the pencil for its intended purpose don't throw it away!


More concealer reviews
ELF's Studio Concealer & Highligher
Cover Girl Invisible Concealer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment